Sunday, October 31, 2010

You want ketsup on that!?!

We were told by the group that the kids needed hot soup everyday, like Borscht. Well we were trying to give them plain and simple foods thinking they would like this, but we have been learning.

Side note - my friend who speaks fluent Russian came over and was able to download a phonetic Russian keyboard and through a translator website, we can communicate pretty well. You type in one language what you want to say, it shows the translation in Russian or English and then it shows below in the original typed language what you typed and how it was translated. Well, let me tell you, it doesn't work right all the time. There is a lot of "wait, no, no, no" and try again going on. But, for the most part, we can communicate better.

Okay, so Thing 1 said he would like soup so I found a Borscht recipe and spent, I don't know, way too long making it. Well, I happened to make it the same day as Boy17's birthday and papa comes home with, you guessed it, pizza. Well, apparently, pizza is universal. So everyone had pizza! Papa said he would try the soup, but I wasn't going to. Nothing looked good about it except the color. It is made with fresh beets and turns a beautiful color. So, there it sits in the garage fridge.

Another universal food - Ketsup! They like Ketsup on everything. Oh honey, I mean everything. It took all I could muster up not to puke when Thing 1 loaded his oatmeal with ketsup! I went to the store and bought one of those Costco sized bottles of ketsup and Thing 2 thought it was the best thing in the world.

I have to say we are Americanizing them though. Today we had quesadillas with beans, ground turkey cheese and salsa and they loved it.

Everyday, I have watched them eat more and more. It makes me glad to see them eating until they are very full. I think they were just trying to eat politely at first. Apparently, after a few days at our house, they realize that "politely" is not a necessity.

They also love chips. I am on my third box of multi-flavored chips from Costco. We get into the car and everyone wants chips. I cleaned out the car and I took so many empty bags of chips out of the car, unbelievable!

Their favorite soda is Sprite. Thing 1 knows that I like diet caffine-free coke. Thing 2 was drinking it and Thing 1 told me how the dye in that soda is poison and isn't good for you. I told him he should tell Thing 2, that I didn't want to tell him. He said no, not Thing 2, but me! I should not drink it. It is not good for me! Well, what could I do. I told him I wouldn't have it anymore. I must admit that I sneak it once in a while when he is not looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment